title

 

DRAFT COPY

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

ACBL UNIT 364

October 12, 2011


 

The meeting was called to order at 10:03 by Vicki Lamb, President, at the Grand Valley Bridge Center in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Board Members Present:  Helen Bledsoe, Alison Regan, Judy Tirpack, John Spurgeon, Gloria Kohls, Paul Hackbert and Pam Elsner.

Board Members Absent:  Jean Paradis

Also present were ACBL members Linda Deaton and Barbara Chaplik.

Secretary’s Report:  A correction was made to the September 14, 2011 Board meeting minutes:  under “New Business” the sentence reading “a petition is circulating in which certain clubs are planning to secede from the Unit” was corrected to read “a petition is circulating requesting signatures from ACBL members who wish to form a new unit”. The correction being made, a motion was made and approved to accept the minutes as corrected.

Treasurer’s Report:  our account balances as of October 11, 2011 are:

            2 CDs                                      $17,923.54

            Checking Account                   $10,905.23

            Total Bank Accounts               $28,828.77

The $500.00 deposit fee for the Vail 299er venue will be returned to the Unit in 2 weeks.

Old Business:

Computer:  Paul reiterated that the purpose of buying a computer for the Unit is to use it as a repository or central place to store records, including correspondence, papers, and Unit business records. We also need a program to access the Board Procedures Manual. Paul quoted us a price for a computer, which has a camera, so we could have a meeting via internet. we agreed to buy locally, and Judy and Paul will do that, in addition to buying a printer/scanner combination.

Vail 299er:  There were 78 ½ tables for the entire tournament, quite a nice attendance. Pam was thanked formally by the Board for all of her hard work in chairing the tournament. Silver points were given , which were much appreciated by the participants. 87 of the 92 people attending received silver points.

Petition to Form a New Unit (Deadline): The ACBL does not have a deadline for the submission of such a petition.. Vicki spoke with Patti Payne regarding a deadline for obtaining signatures on the aforementioned petition. She was not willing to discuss a concrete deadline, but it was agreed to discuss the matter again at the beginning of 2012.

Nominating Committee: Vicki asked Ann McFarland to chair this year’s Nominating Committee, and she accepted.

Board Procedures Manual: Alison reviewed minutes from 2007, including those from the annual meeting, and, as there was no mention of the Manual's adoption,  we will use it as a guideline only, revising it when necessary.

Petition for Unit Name Change: A petition written to change the By-Laws, changing the name of the Unit from “Grand Junction Unit 364” to Colorado West Unit 364” was presented to the Board for signature. The members present signed the petition; said petition will be presented at our Annual Meeting in December to be voted on by the membership.

New Business:

Proposal for Doc Holliday Sectional, 2012: Linda Deaton will be co-chair of this tournament, along with Patti Payne. Linda was present at our meeting today to present to the Board what she has negotiated thus far regarding venue, dates, set-up and budget:

The tournament is scheduled for April 12-15, 2012, at the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, CO. , Linda proposed that we have a 3-session knockout, the 1st session starting on Thursday afternoon. There may also be a 299er session that afternoon. A motion was made and approved by 6 of the 8 Board members present that we have a 4-day tournament.

Linda has secured the Roosevelt Room at the hotel. The room is located on the main floor, is very private, with excellent lighting The hotel itself has newly re-furbished rooms, including new beds, linens, carpets, paint, etc. The price for the rooms will be $89.00/night if we fill 50 rooms. This breaks down to filling 10 rooms on Thursday night, 20 on Friday night and 20 on Saturday night. We have to have 80% of the rooms filled in order to meet the price of $89.00/night. If all rooms are filled, Bill Michael will get a free room; otherwise, the Unit will pay for his accommodations.

Linda is still trying to negotiate the price of coffee/beverages to an affordable price. There are several options, such as the hotel charging $30.00/gallon of coffee, or having the hotel set up a coffee bar, where the participants would pay for coffee (at a reasonable rate, with unlimited re-fills). There would also be other beverages and snacks available at the coffee bar, if we decide to set up in this way. Linda will continue to negotiate the price/set-up of coffee and food.

Linda proposed a serious marketing campaign for the tournament, starting with flyers sent to every tournament in Colorado and adjoining states, starting from January and running until April 1st, 2012. Flyers would also be available at clubs in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins and Greeley.

The cost to play will be $10.00 per person/per session. Linda will submit a budget to the Board for approval. In the meantime, Linda will try to get the Thursday night room rate at the hotel reduced, and will work with Jeremy on possibly setting up a reasonable rate for the beverage/food bar.

Fee Schedule Revision: due to time constraints, we will table this discussion for now.

Our next Board meeting will be on Wednesday, October 26, 2011, at Vicki Lamb’s home, at 10:00 am. We will discuss By-Law revisions only.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:10 pm.

Respectfully Submitted,

Alison Regan Secretary

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, Sep 19 at 12:01 PM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday, Sep 19 at 12:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday, Sep 19 at 12:45 PM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday, Sep 19 at 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM